300zxClub.com (Nissan 300ZX Forums)

300zxClub.com (Nissan 300ZX Forums) (https://www.300zxClub.com/index.php)
-   Branson Z Fest (https://www.300zxClub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Branson Z Fest 2015! (https://www.300zxClub.com/showthread.php?t=223800)

alaNi 11-15-2014 01:40 AM

Branson Z Fest 2015!

Totally ready for it to be BZF time again =D

Twisted Six 11-15-2014 04:09 PM

Re: Branson Z Fest 2015!

is there even going to be a BZF15? I heard tales that pickle was finally going to step aside, which is definitely a step in the right direction.....but I also heard the oklahoma Z group was wanting to/going to take over. if true, I won't be attending anymore. The OK group already fixes the show for their pals/favorites, the same people in their little 'click' win....year in, and year out.....with them in total control, the event is finished.

I would love to see Paul & Nick Brown take over. They're local (atleast Paul is, Nick lives in KC now iirc) and first and foremost, they are Z enthusiasts!! That would always be first, far on top of any car club politics..... If they did take over the planning, I would actually be willing to get involved again, and a few others I know would too (Steve, Skidmore, Dan, and a couple others).

lasz'zz 11-19-2014 12:14 AM

Y'all could count on some help from a couple of us in Arkansas also. Been telling pickle for a couple of years we were willing to help.

yesiownanmgb 12-02-2014 03:06 AM

Can't wait for BZF to roll around again this year - If there is one, ASCO will definitely be participating.

That said - Pickle messaged me to tell me he was going to be contacting me to discuss some ideas for improving the show for 2015.
...but then I never heard back from him.

funkysi 12-12-2014 02:35 PM

There was talking of having a different Branson.....ie, on a different date organized by a different bunch of people.

Marty1Mc 12-12-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkysi (Post 2457832)
There was talking of having a different Branson.....ie, on a different date organized by a different bunch of people.

Yea Si, they moved it east to Deals Gap, NC and call it ZDayZ. :D

Dan84300ZX 12-13-2014 03:22 PM

ZCON is being held in Memphis this year. Memphis is not that far away. This is the closest I think this has ever been to our region. It's being held about 6 weeks or so after Branson Z Fest. That could really affect BZF attendance.

zdotcom 01-01-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990 FairladyZ (Post 2455901)
is there even going to be a BZF15? I heard tales that pickle was finally going to step aside, which is definitely a step in the right direction.....but I also heard the oklahoma Z group was wanting to/going to take over. if true, I won't be attending anymore. The OK group already fixes the show for their pals/favorites, the same people in their little 'click' win....year in, and year out.....with them in total control, the event is finished.

I would love to see Paul & Nick Brown take over. They're local (atleast Paul is, Nick lives in KC now iirc) and first and foremost, they are Z enthusiasts!! That would always be first, far on top of any car club politics..... If they did take over the planning, I would actually be willing to get involved again, and a few others I know would too (Steve, Skidmore, Dan, and a couple others).

This is news to anyone in the Oklahoma Z Car Club. Although it seems awfully rude to throw an entire club under the bus because you believe that the Oklahoma registrants "fixed" a people's choice car show. According to last year's registration, only 14 came from Oklahoma which is not even 10% of the folks attending and voting. Trust me, if it were a judged show, there would be even more winners.

I have attended Branson since 2007 and tied for my first trophy this last summer. I can honestly say, my 350z is cleaner and in better condition than most and I have never complained once when obviously lesser prepped cars were winning trophys. Why did I never complain? Because I know its a people's choice show. I also never complain because I am there for only a handful of reasons:
-Get a few days of R&R .
-Nothing to talk about other than Z cars with like-minded folks.
-Have a few nice dinners with friends that I don't see any other time.
-Drink some cold beers and puff a few cigars.
-Dodge a few rainstorms down at the landing.
-Chat up old friends and maybe pick up a few more along the way.

I challenge anyone to find a better place to accomplish all of those for the price that Branson offers. I also challenge people to add to my list of reasons for going to BZF and explain how those reasons were not met. I just hope that "I expect a trophy" isn't one of them because if that's why you go to any car event, you will be disappointed more often than not.

The OKZCC has been a long time supporter of BZF in more ways than you know. Not to mention that it was the Oklahoma club that rallied with some folks in Branson that got this whole thing started.

alaNi 01-01-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdotcom (Post 2459173)
This is news to anyone in the Oklahoma Z Car Club. Although it seems awfully rude to throw an entire club under the bus because you believe that the Oklahoma registrants "fixed" a people's choice car show. According to last year's registration, only 14 came from Oklahoma which is not even 10% of the folks attending and voting. Trust me, if it were a judged show, there would be even more winners.

I have attended Branson since 2007 and tied for my first trophy this last summer. I can honestly say, my 350z is cleaner and in better condition than most and I have never complained once when obviously lesser prepped cars were winning trophys. Why did I never complain? Because I know its a people's choice show. I also never complain because I am there for only a handful of reasons:
-Get a few days of R&R .
-Nothing to talk about other than Z cars with like-minded folks.
-Have a few nice dinners with friends that I don't see any other time.
-Drink some cold beers and puff a few cigars.
-Dodge a few rainstorms down at the landing.
-Chat up old friends and maybe pick up a few more along the way.

I challenge anyone to find a better place to accomplish all of those for the price that Branson offers. I also challenge people to add to my list of reasons for going to BZF and explain how those reasons were not met. I just hope that "I expect a trophy" isn't one of them because if that's why you go to any car event, you will be disappointed more often than not.

The OKZCC has been a long time supporter of BZF in more ways than you know. Not to mention that it was the Oklahoma club that rallied with some folks in Branson that got this whole thing started.

Brb popcorn

Twisted Six 01-01-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaNi (Post 2459176)
Brb popcorn

Nah, no popcorn needed. I'll leave the club faithful to defend itself. Don't worry, its not sour grapes or anything, I'm not really a 'car show' guy, I seldom even enter my cars....its just observations I've made. There were far more than 14 OK people last year though....but whatever, all good on my end, as I won't be attending BZF this year anyway. Zcon is looking more appealing if I do an event this year, its very close to me (memphis)....but also considering taking a year off, I think more than anything, I'm a little burned out on it. BZF USED to be a great event, absolutely....but it has not been that way for the last few years, mainly to piss-poor planning. 2010 IIRC was the last BZF event that I really had a blast at, huge turnout, lots of sponsors, and even the planning went really smooth. Been a downward spiral since. I've been attending since 2005.

zdotcom 01-02-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990 FairladyZ (Post 2459183)
Nah, no popcorn needed. I'll leave the club faithful to defend itself. Don't worry, its not sour grapes or anything, I'm not really a 'car show' guy, I seldom even enter my cars....its just observations I've made. There were far more than 14 OK people last year though....but whatever, all good on my end, as I won't be attending BZF this year anyway. Zcon is looking more appealing if I do an event this year, its very close to me (memphis)....but also considering taking a year off, I think more than anything, I'm a little burned out on it. BZF USED to be a great event, absolutely....but it has not been that way for the last few years, mainly to piss-poor planning. 2010 IIRC was the last BZF event that I really had a blast at, huge turnout, lots of sponsors, and even the planning went really smooth. Been a downward spiral since. I've been attending since 2005.

Not so much "observations" as accusations. So you rip an entire club because you think there is a better way to judge a show with so many classes (6 gens, verts, coupes, and both mod and stock). Until this last year the show had only once class per generation and people complained. When you have a peoples choice show with as many votes that are cast, there is no way the Oklahoma crew or "clique", as you referred to them, could "fix" the results. No one from Oklahoma counted the ballots and unless you are accusing Art Singer and his crew of cheating, there is not other way to explain it. The only way to change that is get more people from your club to attend or bring a bunch of friends to register and stuff the ballot box for your car or your friends' cars if you choose not to enter or attend. Either way, it was rather crappy to disparage an entire Z club because you were hurt by the results of a car show.

Believe me if it were a true judged show with points awarded for exterior, paint and engine, there may be more trophies in Oklahoma. Its the way our club judges and our members are prepared for it with very clean cars. Hell, a third of the cars in the BZF show do not even open their hoods or windows.

I'm not seeing what has changed so much that you are dissing BZF and entire clubs for no good reason. The hotel is the same (minus the motorcycles, thankfully), price is pretty much the same, dates have not really changed, there is still a BBQ, still have a drag strip day, still have a ferry cruise, still have the Dramamine cruise, and most importantly, still have lots of great people attending. I agree that the sponsorship has dipped a bit but not a deal breaker IMHO.

Twisted Six 01-02-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdotcom (Post 2459207)
Not so much "observations" as accusations. So you rip an entire club because you think there is a better way to judge a show with so many classes (6 gens, verts, coupes, and both mod and stock). Until this last year the show had only once class per generation and people complained. When you have a peoples choice show with as many votes that are cast, there is no way the Oklahoma crew or "clique", as you referred to them, could "fix" the results. No one from Oklahoma counted the ballots and unless you are accusing Art Singer and his crew of cheating, there is not other way to explain it. The only way to change that is get more people from your club to attend or bring a bunch of friends to register and stuff the ballot box for your car or your friends' cars if you choose not to enter or attend. Either way, it was rather crappy to disparage an entire Z club because you were hurt by the results of a car show.

Believe me if it were a true judged show with points awarded for exterior, paint and engine, there may be more trophies in Oklahoma. Its the way our club judges and our members are prepared for it with very clean cars. Hell, a third of the cars in the BZF show do not even open their hoods or windows.

I'm not seeing what has changed so much that you are dissing BZF and entire clubs for no good reason. The hotel is the same (minus the motorcycles, thankfully), price is pretty much the same, dates have not really changed, there is still a BBQ, still have a drag strip day, still have a ferry cruise, still have the Dramamine cruise, and most importantly, still have lots of great people attending. I agree that the sponsorship has dipped a bit but not a deal breaker IMHO.

Nice sermon....but apparently you haven't paid much attention over the last few years. Have you noticed how little sponsors there have been the last few years? There were nothing but a big bunch of empty tables in the registration room this year. I'm told that some of the show winners from 2014 still don't have their trophies. Yes I know the OK Z club is far superior to all those who put the effort into their cars, and you guys would just mop up the show if it were judged....I did need a good laugh, thanks....but now who's accusing and/or being a little full of themselves, and demonstrating my fear of why I wouldn't want the OK group taking over?! ;)

Anyway, As I was saying before you got your shorts in a knot with me revealing what was RUMORED, not fact (about the OK group taking over the event)..... BZF is in shambles right now, there is no denying that, try as you may.....but last year was simply a chinese firedrill with the planning staff. Zero coordination. I wont attend a repeat of that other than to stop for a day and say HI to everyone...but actually registering, not happening...I mean seriously? Cash only, no shirts, and a price hike? Something rotten in Denmark? I didn't even register last year. Last year was my shortest BZF ever, I arrived Wednesday and left Friday....but the weather didn't help, rain took away a lot of the cruises I usually do, it's done that the last 2 years....which is certainly nobody's fault, but take the cruises out of the equation, and what's left of the PLANNED EVENT (I omit the friends and commradery)? A disorganized mess? I'll pass. I really want to see the event revitalized, and as I said initially before your tirade, that won't happen until Pickle steps down or relinquishes power to others that can get things done.

zdotcom 01-02-2015 01:18 PM

Guess we'll all just have to eagerly await the Z car event you are putting on so we can come and "Fix" that one too. I'm positive it will be well attended and go off without the slightest hitch and the car show will be one where everyone gets a participation ribbon.

Just quit slamming the OKZCC because you are upset because you didn't get a trophy and you are mad at Pickle. The OK crew had nothing to do with either of them.

Twisted Six 01-02-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdotcom (Post 2459217)
Guess we'll all just have to eagerly await the Z car event you are putting on so we can come and "Fix" that one too. I'm positive it will be well attended and go off without the slightest hitch and the car show will be one where everyone gets a participation ribbon.

Sounds like someone else has the sour grapes now... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdotcom (Post 2459217)
Just quit slamming the OKZCC because you are upset because you didn't get a trophy and you are mad at Pickle. The OK crew had nothing to do with either of them.

I can care less about your car club or its politics. You have to enter a car to get a trophy, I usually do not....FWIW, when I do enter a car, I always come home with one, if that makes you feel any better.

I'm not even mad at Pickle, hes a really good guy, and would not hesitate to say that on a personal level, hes a friend....I just think (<--my opinion mind you) hes in way over his head or burned out...whatever the reason, the planning has been abysmal the last few years, and there's no denying that....and the event has very much suffered for it. The proof is sponsorship...The last couple years, its just down to a couple...and yet another big one pulled out just this year, who I will not mention, but I'm sure you know who it is. My point is that coordinating should be a big group effort like it used to be....working with a lot of car clubs, individuals, and sponsors. I'm afraid BZF is headed the same direction Midwest Z Fest went, and that would be sad...

zdotcom 01-02-2015 02:46 PM

All is well and you are totally welcome to your opinion and agreed the sponsorship is down the last couple years. However in your original post you accused the OK club of fixing a people's choice car show and that is where I have a problem.

Has BZF changed?... Yea. Enough to not come back?...Maybe for some, not for most. Is a people's choice show a popularity contest?...Sometimes. But to slam a club because you think you know how everyone from said club voted?...You're way off.

The OKZCC shows up, helps out, and puts their cars in the show. What is wrong with that?

Twisted Six 01-02-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdotcom (Post 2459220)
All is well and you are totally welcome to your opinion and agreed the sponsorship is down the last couple years. However in your original post you accused the OK club of fixing a people's choice car show and that is where I have a problem.

Like I said....same old cars win....year in, and year out.... Let everyone else make up their own minds.

Quote:

Has BZF changed?... Yea. Enough to not come back?...Maybe for some, not for most.

I'll be back, as the OKZCC taking over was indeed only a rumor as far as I know....which I did initially state. ;)

Quote:

The OKZCC shows up, helps out, and puts their cars in the show. What is wrong with that?

There's a few sponsorship questions/issues regarding the OKZCC and BZF in the past, but not being directly involved, I will not comment any further, my dog aint in that hunt. The powers that be know, and that's good enough....but enough with the car club zealotry......thats the exact reason why no car clubs need to be in control of the event.

*edit*
I really hope something changes for the better, I really don't see the event surviving a repeat of last year.

alaNi 01-02-2015 04:34 PM

Didn't realize Zcon was so close this year. 2events!

funkysi 01-04-2015 01:12 PM

Just finalizing some vacation, but I'll likely be at BZF this year, not for the show at all, but the people. Some great guys who attend.

I'll agree with Chris regarding how the event is now - it isn't a patch on how it was 5+ years ago, but it's still fun and I will likely be flying from UK again for it this year.....despite saying that I wasn't going to go this year - there are just a LOT of good people who go to this event that I can't not go, especially since the Schultes have grown in numbers by 1 since last year and my sushi event was such a success! :)

Twisted Six 01-04-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkysi (Post 2459374)
Just finalizing some vacation, but I'll likely be at BZF this year, not for the show at all, but the people. Some great guys who attend.

I'll agree with Chris regarding how the event is now - it isn't a patch on how it was 5+ years ago, but it's still fun and I will likely be flying from UK again for it this year.....despite saying that I wasn't going to go this year - there are just a LOT of good people who go to this event that I can't not go, especially since the Schultes have grown in numbers by 1 since last year and my sushi event was such a success! :)

Asshole, you're making it harder for me not to go..... If Rockchucker and some of our other western US friends are coming, it will be impossible to stay away! :D

funkysi 01-04-2015 01:28 PM

Haha! It is not the same without some key people - unfortunately, you're a key person, so therefore, you have to attend, even if only for 5 minutes whilst I experience you calling me a wanker! :lol:

Dan84300ZX 01-04-2015 05:57 PM

It will be interesting to see the attendance at this year's BZF. There are 3 Z Fests in about a 6 week period.

About 2 weeks after Branson is Midwest Z Heritage in Chicago and about 4 weeks after that is ZCON in Memphis. All 3 of these are less than a days drive for many of us.

Undoubtedly a lot of the diehards will be at Branson but it may be a challenge getting new converts with the other two scheduled close behind. I'm sure for some, it will come down to costs.

Marty1Mc 01-04-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan84300ZX (Post 2459403)
It will be interesting to see the attendance at this year's BZF. There are 3 Z Fests in about a 6 week period.

About 2 weeks after Branson is Midwest Z Heritage in Chicago and about 4 weeks after that is ZCON in Memphis. All 3 of these are less than a days drive for many of us.

Undoubtedly a lot of the diehards will be at Branson but it may be a challenge getting new converts with the other two scheduled close behind. I'm sure for some, it will come down to costs.

May 14-17 is ZDayz too.

Twisted Six 01-04-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan84300ZX (Post 2459403)
I'm sure for some, it will come down to costs.

Honestly, thats the only thing scaring me away from zcon right now....not a budget-friendly event.

Z ONLY1 01-05-2015 03:35 PM

WOW...have not read this thread for awhile.....

Cost is an issue for me also....don't get vacations (really)...so since ZCON is so close....giving myself 5-6 days off, first time in 7 years....not paying for the track or drag....being a noobie...just want to take it all in and see if the ZCON's are worth it....
Will miss my night s at Branson :rofl3:

funkysi 01-06-2015 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z ONLY1 (Post 2459483)
WOW...have not read this thread for awhile.....

Cost is an issue for me also....don't get vacations (really)...so since ZCON is so close....giving myself 5-6 days off, first time in 7 years....not paying for the track or drag....being a noobie...just want to take it all in and see if the ZCON's are worth it....
Will miss my night s at Branson :rofl3:

Hal, you must come to Branson!!! Wouldn't be the same without you!!

lasz'zz 01-06-2015 09:22 AM

Sooooo.............I will ask it just in case Pickle hears we are asking...... When IS registration going to open for Z Fest!

Z ONLY1 01-06-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkysi (Post 2459576)
Hal, you must come to Branson!!! Wouldn't be the same without you!!

Well...if she is running real well (should)..I have never done a quick drop-in and see people before...but a lot of history and friends....:group:

Dan84300ZX 01-06-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasz'zz (Post 2459580)
Sooooo.............I will ask it just in case Pickle hears we are asking...... When IS registration going to open for Z Fest!

I heard one story that he vowed to have it open in January 2015. Based on his track record, it will probably be more like March.

Twisted Six 01-06-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan84300ZX (Post 2459590)
I heard one story that he vowed to have it open in January 2015. Based on his track record, it will probably be more like March.

If its a repeat of last year, IE, cash only, no tee shirt, and price hike, I won't be registering anyway. If I come, it'll probably be just for a day anyway.

edwardtx 01-15-2015 05:27 PM

I will try to be there this year. Finally!